Friday, January 30, 2009
Thursday, January 29, 2009
Oprah Appoints Christina Norma as CEO of OWN
OWN will launch early in 2010 and is is expected to debut in 70 million homesbacked by Oprah Winfrey and Discovery Communications. The network will be based in Los Angeles and Norman will start work later this year. (Broadcasting and Cable, Gawker)
Wednesday, January 28, 2009
SAG Executive Director Doug Allen Fired. Now What?
David White, right, former SAG general counsel, has been installed as interim executive director and John McGuire, left, is taking Allen’s place at the negotiating table. Mr. McGuire is the consummate insider, participating in or leading more than 30 contract negotiations in his 40 years with the guild.
Doug Allen was an outsider and came to SAG from the National Football League Players Association in 2006. It is speculated that the Alliance of Motion Picture and Television Producers (AMPTP) will make some concessions to speed the process and to make Mr. Allen look bad. Producers are not expected to budge on compensation for online productions — a major demand of Mr. Allen’s — but they may yield on actor compensation. AMPTP negotiates on behalf of studios, declined to comment. (The New York Times, 1/27/09)
Monday, January 19, 2009
Barack Obama Inaugural Balls
1) Neighborhood Inaugural Ball at the Washington Convention Center
2) Obama Home States (Illinois and Hawaii) Inaugural Ball at Washington Convention Center
3) Biden Home States (Penn & Delaware) Inaugural Ball at Washington Convention Center
4) Midwest Inaugural Ball at Washington Convention Center
5) Mid-Atlantic Inaugural Ball at Washington Convention Center
6) Western Inaugural Ball at Washington Convention Center
7) Commander in Chief's Ball at National Building Museum
8) Southern Inaugural Ball at the National Guard Armory
9) Eastern Inaugural Ball at Union Station
10) Youth Inaugural Ball at the Washington Hilton
1) Congressional Black Caucus Inaugural Ball at the Capitol Hilton
2) Creative Coalition Inaugural Ball at Harman Center for the Arts
3) Recording Industry Assoc of America's Ball for Feeding America
4) BET's Inaugural Ball at Mandarin Oriental Hotel
5) Africa on the Potomac Inaugural at Crystal Gateway Marriott Wardman Park Hotel
6) Africa & Internat'l Friends Inaugural Ball at Gaylord Hotel & Convention Ctr (Nat'l Harbor)
7) American Music Inaugural Bal at Marriott Wardman Park Hotel
8) Inaugural Purple Ball at the Fairmont Hotel
9) Human Rights Campaign's Equality Ball at Renaissance Mayflower Hotel
10) Inaugural Peace Ball at Smithsonian National Postal Museum
11) Impact Film Fund Ball
12) Black-Tie and Boots Inaugural Ball at Gaylord Convention Center
Source: Associated Press
Television Earpiece Needs Change For African Americans
Wednesday, January 14, 2009
The Barack Obama Inaugural Celebration: Lincoln Memorial
Tuesday, January 13, 2009
The Africa and International Friends Inaugural Ball
Reverend Walter Fauntroy and Nelson Mandela are cochairs of the ball. The Gaylord resort can accommodate the 15,000 people expected to attend the ball. The ball will be held in 265,000 square feet of space at the Gaylord. The main event, in the 50,000-square-foot Potomac Ballroom, with tickets priced at $1,000, will include a full dinner and the main staged entertainment. The 35,000-square-foot Maryland Ballroom will host a celebration with a buffet and staged entertainment for $500 a ticket. In the 180,000-square-foot exhibit hall, revelers will be treated to hors d'oeuvres, staged entertainment and music from a local disc jockey for tickets of $250 each. The three venues will be linked by JumboTron giant screens. will allow people in each of the rooms to see what is going on in the other events," she said.
At a three-hour meeting yesterday, Fauntroy, Bryant and event planners walked the hotel, completed the menu and finalized the program.
The main event in the Potomac Ballroom will begin with a reception at 6:30 p.m., opening with a recorded message of congratulations to Obama from Mandela, followed by the O'Jays with their anthem "Love Train." Other confirmed performers include Pieces of a Dream, Lalah Hathaway, Raheem DVaughn, Brick and Maxi Priest. The parties in the Maryland Ballroom and exhibit hall begin at 8 p.m. Tickets or Call 301-358-3845 for more information. (The Washington Post, 1/4/09)
Thursday, January 01, 2009
Should We Be Worried About Ms. Janet Jackson?
Yet "The Wall Street Journal" heralded this headline in its "Media and Marketing" section on Dec 31, 2008: "Concert Industry Bucks the Recessionary Trend." Madonna sold $105 milion in tickets and Celine Dion did $94 million in ticket sales. The Eagles did $73 million, Kenny Chesney did $72 million and Bon Jovi did $70 million. And Janet is as good as, if not better than, any of these acts. So what gives? Live Nation is not chasing after Janet to give her one of those mega 360 deals. Yet Janet is Da Bomb. Maybe it is time for ALL OF THE JACKSONS to get together and show the world what they can really do.